Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Lepard Part 2

         So, this movie just seemed to drag on and on. I know that though past discussions about other movies, were supposed to find some deeper meaning, or directors interpretation or something-which I sort of did- but why can't they create their vision while also being entertaining? That's not to say that I didnt find any enjoyment out of this film, particularly with the parts concerning Angelica and Tancredi, because one of my favorite genres happens to be Victorianesque romances.
        As I said the move seems to have many shots without much purpose, there of random people doing and saying random things. And there not just short, little tidbits, there actually a few minutes long. Now, after reading the article I realized that one thing the director was trying to portray was scenery, which made all of the extra shots make sence to me. He was showing us the enviroment in which the films characters thrived. In that sence they seem perfectly reasonable, but entertaiment wise the film could do without.
       Also, I feel like I didn't truly get the most out of this film because my knowledge of Italian history is greatly lacking. Someone who knew more about Sicily and the Prince would better be able to appreciate the film's context. For me, the dialogue just went on forever. I got the gist of what they were talking about, but many things simply didn't quite sink in. (I found myself staring off at various scenery instead of paying attention to what the characters were saying.) Again, this all ties in to my great dislike of politics.
      I sort of lost track of the ending. Was the Prince really dying? Why did he want to walk home alone? Why did he cry? These answers just aren't visible to me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not certain of the ending either. Isn't it sad? After all of that time spent with that character we don't really have a definite ending. He just seems so depressed and alone, almost like a mid-life crisis.

    The political heavy conversations also made me drift off a little bit. For instance during the long scene when they're hunting and they caught the rabbit. When they are talking, there is a goat or something in the background that was just walking around. I couldn't stop watching it. But I understood what they were saying, I just felt they talked about the same things for far too long at points. Or it may be because I'm impatient and tired.

    I agree that it is hard to watch this movie unless you grasp the underlying intentions of the director, and the historical content. If i learned more about the Prince and re-watched the movie I would probably like those long conversations a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all your points. Usually I'm able to take parts of history or culture that I don't know and try to forget them in context with the film that I am watching. But in this one it was so damn hard, and you were right, it could've been more entertaining. But as I said in my blog I believe it has something to do more with the fact of the bad syncing of English voices on actors mouthing Italians? Do you agree with me? Do you think there are other technical factors that could've detracted the viewing experience?

    ReplyDelete